The Bombay Shops & Establishments Act, 1948 is an act to consolidate and amend the law relating to the regulation of conditions of work and employment in shops, commercial establishments, residential hotels, restaurants, eating houses, theatres, other places of public amusement or entertainment and other establishments.
The various forms under the Shop & Establishments Act are as follows:-
- Form A – New Application.
- Form B – Renewal of Certificate
- Form E – Notification of change of details.
- The application can be made at the nearest Citizen Facilitation Center (CFC) established by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai. The Shop and Establishment Registration form – Form A can be downloaded by clicking here or by visiting Citizen portal at www.mcgm.gov.in
- The applicant has to submit the duly completed and signed application form, along with required documents and fees at the CFC.
- An undertaking has to be submitted along with abovementioned application form which can be downloaded here
Fees payable depends upon the number of employees employed by the Establishment. Fees payable is sum of Annual fees and T.R.C. fees as mentioned in the Fee Schedule against appropriate column. Additionally, processing fees of Rs. 200/- has to be paid.
Documents to be attached:-
|Proprietary firm||(a) PAN of Proprietor.(b) Any utility bill for the place of registration or Rent agreement, if place is rented.|
|Partnership Firm||(a) PAN of the Firm.(b) Any utility bill for the place of registration or Rent Agreement, if place is rented.(c) Deed of Partnership
|Public/ Private Limited Company||(a) Memorandum and Article of Association.(b) List of Directors with Residential Address.(c) PAN of Company.|
- The application is assigned to and processed by Department Head (Sr. Inspector) of SNE at the concerned Ward. After site inspection and approval of the application the Registration Certificate is issued to the applicant.
- Visit the nearest Citizen Facilitation Center or use the online facility “Check Status” provided on Citizen Portal in order to keep track of your application. Unique Application No. (also called as Transaction ID) is essential in order to use this facility.
Renewal of Registration:
The renewal is done by filling the abovementioned Form B in the requisite manner. A registration fee for such renewal is applicable as per the fees schedule which can be found here: Fee Schedule.
Notification of Change:
In case of any change in details provided by the applicant, the same has to be notified to the department via Form E. Documents required to be submitted along with Form E can be found here: Checklist.
Other points for consideration:
- The Shop and Establishment certificate has to be displayed prominently in the shop/place of business.
- The visitor’s books have to be made available for officers/ staff from the BMC who come to inspect the shop owner’s premises.
- The wages of permanent employees cannot be deducted for the weekly off day.
- Register of Employees has to be maintained in prescribed format.
For any further clarifications, please contact your local BMC ward.